Friday 1 September 2017

KKN (Student Study Service) in Bank Indonesia Story

          I just finished my Student Study Service or also known as KKN in Indonesia and I could tell you a lot of things about it. For your information, KKN is a concept of linking academic study with the practical experience of community service. Since 1973, KKN has been integrated into the higher education curriculum for Indonesian universities, and it became one of higher education's threefold responsibilities besides teaching and conducting researches. Through the KKN program, the students are expected to share their knowledge and help local people to improve their lives and motivate them toward self-development. It usually runs between the 6th and 7th semester during the holiday. The length of KKN may vary depending on the universities' policy. In my university (Mulawarman University) this year we were required to complete the KKN program within two months.
          I feel so relieved that I have gone through all the troubles but I also have this feeling of sadness at the same time. Do you know that feeling when things are about to end and you've finally accept it? At first you were against it but as you get used to it, it is becoming a part of you. Don't get me wrong though, I chose to be where I was. But what happened after wasn't all that pretty. Well, here I am trying to sum up all the crazy things that happened during my KKN but 2 months is a long story to tell so I'm sorry if I might need to cut a lot of details in my story.
         I was doing my KKN at East Kalimantan province representative office of Bank Indonesia (The Central Bank of Indonesia). Unlike most other KKN that was supposed to be done somewhere in unknown village, mine was actually 70% spent in the office (with at least one program that are still in touch with the community through the office) and the rest of 30% spent in a community service. This story focuses on KKN in Bank Indonesia only. 
         It was no easy peasy to get accepted in Bank Indonesia. Out of thirteen groups, my group was the chosen one. The pressure was real, drama was all over the place. It was a really long process to get through. Thirteen groups submitted proposals but only 9 groups who made it. These 9 groups including us were given a task of creating a video about the Central Bank or the main function of Bank Indonesia in one week time, then we were gathered in one place to make an hour craft and gave a presentation using the craft as a media tool. Although the results ended up to be a life changing experience, this is also where all the drama began. We were all up to the phase where our friends treated us as enemies, haters using fake accounts commented on our Instagram pictures, been underestimated and talked about. Yeah, believe me, these were all happened to my group. Yet, I don't see why it's all necessary. I mean dude, can y'all relax? this is just KKN. Everyday in life we are competing with each other. Although I strongly believe that win or loose doesn't really matter, what matter the most is what we have learned from it. Unfortunately, not all people get that.
        My group itself is quite extraordinary. We had our differences, some of us are loud, some of us are quit, some of us are really sensitive and some are really like to play it safe. During 2 months of our KKN,  we argue almost every single day. Luckily, we made it until the end. Life lessons learned. We can't change people but we can always change ourselves, and if we all decide to do so, to change, then this world can become a beautiful, peaceful place. So guys, avoid as much conflicts as you can with your fellow friends for your own sake. In situation like this, you will know who your real friends are or at least get to know their real personality.


      Meet my group members! They seem nice. Believe me, they are actually nice. But imagine bringing 8 different people together with each different character and personalities to work together as a team in such an intense period of time. In business case, it might not be a bigger problem because they do already have a clear vision and ways on how to do it, besides they also get paid. The opposite goes to KKN. When this group was created, we didn't know each other very well. In fact, I only knew few of them very well, we had no idea about the program and everything was planned along the way. Everyone in my team has their own ambitions on how to do it and we went through a hell lot of things before we finally agreed on one thing.

Left to right: Bayu, Ridwan, Wahyu, Adnan

Left to right: Ratna, Bella, Putri (Me), Dwi

        Bank Indonesia has a really good reputation and as I told you earlier, it was no easy peasy to get accepted in here. I admit they have the best work ethic as far as I have seen when comparing it to the government office in Indonesia. People work 10 times harder here and they seemed to have a bunch of endless work. As KKN students we were actually treated as if we were an intern. Lucky for me and my team, we get to experienced KKN and internship at the same time. We were put in divisions (one to two of us for each division) to help and we had our own desks. Jobs may vary from each division. In some divisions, there was not much that we can do other than inputting data on the system but in other divisions we would make a call, deal with customer and analyse some economic issues.

No comments:

Post a Comment